Surfers Against Sewage is a national marine conservation and campaigning charity that inspires, unites, and empowers communities to take action to protect oceans, beaches, waves, and wildlife. As part of their work, they:
- Create volunteering opportunities for individuals and communities to be involved with activities to safeguard our seas, coastlines, and beaches.
- Talk to the government on key issues affecting oceans, beaches, and recreational water users.
- Educate communities on achievable, sustainable solutions, which can help protect our waves, oceans, and beaches.
- Challenge industry to adopt better standards to protect our coastal environment.
- Promote scientific, economic, and health evidence to support calls for a cleaner and safer marine environment.
- Engage the general public on issues affecting UK waves, oceans, and beaches, and those that use them.
Prior to joining GivePanel, community fundraising was an area of Surfers Against Sewage’s portfolio that hadn’t yet been fully invested in despite numerous testing on various events.
With a steady income from organic birthday fundraisers, the team researched the impact of Facebook fundraising and saw that Facebook Challenges was the natural next step in their testing.
Following thorough planning, Surfers Against Sewage launched Dip a Day in October to help tackle the issue of water companies discharging raw sewage into rivers and seas.